Thursday, February 2, 2012

Specialty's Cafe and Bakery

"I'm impressed with the overall taste." - LLC Legend Nick Nikitas

A nerd leaves Specialty's
While Nikitas was speaking about a prior Loop Lunch Club outing to Kamehachi Cafe it's safe to assume the man who selected the first LLC Champion would have a comparable reaction to this week's spot. Because last week's Bert and Ernie joke really ruffled the feathers of Steve "Big Bird" Lake he decided to fly solo in making the LLC2's fourth selection, Specialty's Cafe and Bakery at 191 N Wacker.

It's difficult for me to make this point without overplaying my experience, but Specialty's is a lot like how I would like heaven to be. Plenty of coffee, hot and cold sandwiches, all day breakfast options, and a blended aroma of ham and baked goods that redefines and re-spells the term heavenscent. I sat, eyes closed, listening to what I truly believe was a harp being strummed on the speakers, wondering if I had ascended to a higher plane on lunch and awaiting the arrival of the other LLC Angels (not a bad name for a potential cheerleading group if any female readers are looking to get their faces out there on some LLC Lunch boxes and other fabulous merchandise).

The angels were late so I decided to peruse the giant pseudo-chalkboard menus. Though as of yet unannounced I have made a vow not to order a club sandwich during this second Loop Lunch Club circuit, however, when the menu headings are "Classic," "Deluxe" and "Gourmet" there isn't much to worry about because they all sound like great, nearly excellent options. With no descriptions on the board I made the rash yet correct choice in selecting the Hot Hammer (a deluxe option). Ideally I'd be quoting an LLCer now, but none had arrived yet so I'll quote the stranger I overheard advising another stranger on what to order. "Sandwiches are good. Bread is good," he said. Clearly this man is no Dan Spira.

Lake's Peanut Butter and Jelly and Stuff
It was at this point that the rest of The LLC began to arrive. Rob Anderson was quick to point fingers, indicating immediately that "Late Lake is late again!" Anderson then snatched up a carryout menu and clued me in on the Hot Hammer's liberal portion of cream cheese. "I love cream cheese," he said. "It makes things better."

We placed our orders and were handed buzzers that added a unforeseen aspect of suspense to our waiting period. I was curios as to where The LLC would sit. Options abound for diners at Specialty's as they can accommodate any form of lower back pain or light sensitivity between the corner booths, counters, high-tops, and lobby seating with floor to ceiling windows offering an unforgettable view of the famous Wacker Drive cab traffic.

Seeing Dan Ofman approach the table with a peanut butter chocolate chip colossus Dan "Cookie Monster" Spira said for the second consecutive week, "I may have to get one of those on the way out." After sampling a bite, also for the second consecutive week, I too expressed a desire to get one on the way out. When Ofman's buzzer went off he gave a double fist pump and exclaimed "YES!" as though he had accomplished more than successfully waiting a few minutes for a sandwich to be prepared. Once I had a bite of my own I understood his excitement.  It was food hall good!
A Hot Hammer for a Hot Ammer
Dan Spira doing his best Bobby Knight in
the lobby. An apt response to Dan Ofman's
claims of the Bulls' chances without Rose.


"The water cups are a little small," said Danny Rubenstein as he took a seat at the head of the table. "But on the plus side I feel like a giant holding it." I doubt he was referring to the New York Giants who recently defeated his beloved 49ers, but perhaps carrying those tiny water cups gave him the mindset of a man only a few days away from the most important game of his life.

I was pleased with my Hot Hammer despite its only being warm and not getting me hammered. As Anderson predicted the cream cheese made it better and the potato poppy seed bread was a perfect match for the stone ground mustard. The Loop Lunch Club had a wonderful experience and a delicious meal at Specialty's that went very smoothly until Dan Spira's violent outburst simultaneously brought a hypothetical sports argument and the meal to abrupt finishes.


Specialty's Notes:

  • Steve Lake really wanted me to mention the quality of the soups.
  • When picking up my sandwich the guy asked if I was Ted. Why doesn't everyone know our names yet? This is the second time in four weeks we've been misidentified.
  • Rob Anderson said of the below photograph, "This is the funniest picture I've seen in months."

Rick Ofman, seen here on picture day circa 1995,
with a triple threat mullet, bowl-cut, jew-fro. And
I'm not even touching on the shirt.

2 comments:

  1. This amazing picture of Rick makes me proud to be an Ofman!

    ReplyDelete
  2. 1995??? That classic was taken 1989-90. The haircut was designed to make me look about 5 years older though.

    ReplyDelete