Sunday, January 29, 2012

Noodles by Takashi Yagihashi

"You are almost ready to be entrusted with the secret ingredient of my secret ingredient soup." - Ping

Today's quote comes from one of the nation's most recognizable noodle chefs, the adoptive father of Po, the Kung Fu Panda who captured both the dragon scroll and the hearts of children and parents alike on his way to uncovering the mysteries of the true secret ingredient of life. The Loop Lunch Club did some research of our own this week to find what secret ingredients create the complex flavors at Noodles by Takashi Yagihashi at 111 N State Street.

Devoted readers are probably thinking, "But Sam, didn't The LLC already meet at 111 N State when you tried Frontera Fresco? I'm sure you did because I remember laughing so hard at your Rick Bayliss jokes and sharing your blog with my friends and family." Well devoted readers, you're right. And thank you. The LLC returned to the 7th floor of Macy's to what I mistakenly referred to as a food court. This time around I was informed that Takashi is part of a much more elegant "Food Hall" where the superior quality warrants a more grandiose designation but you still here the staff yell out, "Number 15! Let's go, let's go!" I'll forego any further distinctions between the atmosphere of our prior visit and this one because that would just be splitting hairs, which is about as useful as splitting tens.

Takashi, seen here maintaining the secrets of his
secret ingredient
Chef Yagihashi, a man I once shook the hand of and helped unload boxes for, is the owner and executive chef of the well established Bucktown restaurant Takashi as well as a new River North location that, unless his middle name is Slurping Turtle, isn't named after him.

Takashi (this is what I'll be calling the food hall location) was the joint selection of the dynamic duo of Steve Lake and Danny Rubenstein, a modern day live action Bert and Ernie. Like the Sesame Street stand ins they've come to represent they do everything together, so it came as no surprise that they both pushed for a new table, both jumped to the front of the line and huddled together mumbling, "G is for Ginger, H is for Hot sauce!"
Henry Ford would be proud
Lake, who led to The LLC at the counter, explained the value added benefit of carrying a Macy's Food Hall customer loyalty card. I'd have two punches on mine if I'd kept it after Frontera Fresco, but alas, I tossed it immediately. Fortunately there wasn't time to mourn for the card as my spirits were instantly lifted by the overwhelmingly efficient assembly line service. Customers begin with a free cookie sample that elicited a chorus of "mmm"s from the Ofman brothers "oh, my, how delicious"s from Dan Spira and Rob Anderson.  After placing your order you find you've been given a thematically apt Asian style tray and pint glass of ice water. Next you encounter a series of utensils and sauces that allow everyone from the expert chop sticker to the novice fork favorer to shovel fried rice into their mouth comfortably.

"This place is blowing Petro's out of the water," said a salivating Dan Ofman. "And we haven't even eaten."

Following Bert and Ernie's lead I
added ginger and corn
My order of pork fried rice deserved to be served in a food hall. The pork was succulent, and much like an M&M it melted in my mouth, though I didn't test it in my hand. The side of pot stickers was pedestrian, though the I did enjoy the pickled cabbage they were served over, which featured a subtle, understated flavor that cleansed the palate as it tiptoed across my tastebuds.

"I like how it's served piping hot," said Lake of his plate of rice. "You know, the way the bowl of rice stays hot."

Bobbo's bob-bowl
When asked about his noodles Rob Anderson sat up and heaved a sigh of remorse. "Pretty bland," he said. Later he'd add some sauces and assure the group that it had improved, though the extra broth, pork, and egg tells me he left unsatisfied. Rob does not like the 7th floor of Macy's.

After having his diet coke refilled for him Dan Spira expressed his appreciation for the service and food by simply and accurately stating, "This is a great food court." So great, in fact, that it's a food hall.

Takashi Notes:

  • Despite ordering fried rice Danny Rubenstein announced to nobody in particular, "I'm the mayor of noodles."
  • Rubenstein's twitter prowess has garnered The LLC an invitation from Sushi Samba, who asked, "What are you waiting for?" In the event Sushi Samba has a social media intern who may be reading this, we are waiting for lower prices.

No comments:

Post a Comment